Recreate The Bake Off Final At Home
Yesterday evening, more than 7 million of us tuned in to watch the remaining trio of budding bakers battle it out it to steal the top-spot. Ruby, Kim-Joy and fan-favourite, Rahul, all had their eyes on the prize, but in the end, there could only be one winner…
If you missed last night’s episode and you’re determined to avert any spoilers, then now’s the time to skip to the recipe part. Alternatively, if you’re keen to catch up on the gossip, here is my last ever Bake Off recap…
What Happened In The Bake Off Final
1. Ruby & Kim-Joy entered the tent looking ready to take on whatever the final had in store for them. Rahul on the other hand, looked absolutely terrified - but then again, doesn’t he always?
2. The last ever signature challenge was revealed and bakers were tasked with creating a dozen doughnuts - six ring-style, and six filled
3. Kim-Joy chose to infuse her doughnuts with a delicious amaretto diplomat filling, meanwhile Ruby whipped up two different flavours of dough and an indulgent piping bagful of dulce de leche. And of course, Rahul did a ‘classic Rahul’ and set out to transform his mango-flavoured doughnuts into floral wreaths
4. Looking as apprehensive and meek as ever, Rahul appeared somewhat doubtful of his doughnuts, despite being told they were delicious by the judges
5. For the technical challenge, bakers were ushered out of the tent and asked to bake up a batch of flat-breads over an open fire
6. Twitter went into meltdown over the technical challenge, with many viewers left absolutely furious at the concept of creating dips. DIPS on BAKE OFF? Preposterous.
7. For the final showstopper of the season and the last opportunity to really impress Paul & Prue, the bakers were asked to make a ‘magical landscape dessert’
8. In perhaps the most momentous mishap of the series, one of Rahul’s storage jars exploded in the heat of the tent and while Kim-Joy and Ruby got busy with their bakes, he was left to clear up the remnants of glass scattered around his work area
9. Recognising that the exploding jar was no fault of his own, Rahul was offered 15 minutes extra time in which to complete his showstopper - come on, Rahul!
10. Ruby put together a selection of pistachio unicorns on praline dust paths, meanwhile Kim-Joy created a gingerbread version of the lost city of Atlantis. Rahul, on the other hand, took things to a whole new level and recreated a 200-piece Victorian garden. We’ve come to expect nothing less
11. A customary Bake Off tradition, the trio were joined outside the tent by all their nearest and dearest, as well as the full class of 2018 bakers
12. There was one last loving embrace for Ruby, Kim-Joy And Rahul and then the winner was finally announced…’RAHUL!’
That’s right! In spite of all his anguish, Rahul was eventually crowned the winner of The Great British Bake Off 2018. And while he has been seriously frustrating to watch at times, he did definitely deserve it.
To celebrate Rahul’s win and to keep you lovely lot creative in the kitchen this autumn and winter, I’ve pulled together a selection of recipes inspired by last night’s finale. So, grab a cup of tea and make yourself comfortable - it’s time to talk recipes!
Vanilla Doughnuts With Pumpkin Pastry Cream - The Vanilla Bean Blog
As it’s Halloween, I thought I’d kick things off with a pumpkin-flavoured recipe. Brought to you by The Vanilla Bean Blog, these delicious vanilla doughnuts with pumpkin pastry cream are a must-try for any budding baker.
Super indulgent and guaranteed to excite your taste buds, these doughnuts make for the perfect autumn snack or dessert. For full effect, be sure to enjoy with a freshly-made pumpkin spiced latte. Yummy!
Vegan Gluten Free Doughnuts - Simple Vegan Blog
Proof that being vegan doesn’t mean compromising on flavour, these scrumptious vegan gluten-free doughnuts from Simple Vegan Blog is super easy to follow, and requires just seven simple ingredients.
Topped with a sweet agave nectar glaze, these doughnuts pose a guilt-free alternative to the traditional deep-fried treat, and taste just as good as they look!
Double Chocolate Doughnuts - Just So Tasty
Decadently smothered in rich, dark chocolate, this recipe is one for all the chocoholics out there. Boasting the perfect texture, these doughnuts are mouthwatering-ly moist and full of flavour.
The addition of multi-coloured sprinkles adds a pretty finishing touch meanwhile the intense chocolaty flavour promises to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Pitta Bread Recipes
Pita Bread Recipe - Rose Water & Orange Blossoms
These light, fluffy and ‘pillowy’ pitta breads from Rose Water & Orange Blossoms are almost too good to be true - and guess what? You only need seven ingredients to make them!
Completely fuss-free, the pitta breads pose the ideal accompaniment to a whole range of different dishes. So, whether you’re looking for a lighter alternative to a crusty bread roll or you’re simply enjoying some hummus and tzatziki with friends, these pittas are sure to impress.
Pita Bread with Hummus - Knead. Bake. Cook.
Speaking of hummus, this next recipe, brought to you by Knead. Bake. Cook. presents not only the perfect pitta bread recipe, but the tastiest hummus recipe, too!
Removing the risk of any culinary complications, this guide is broken down into a series of straightforward steps & the selection of ingredients is equally simple.
Enjoy them whole and smother the hummus on top, or, if you prefer, why not have a little dip instead? Either way, this winning combo is utterly delish & a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Greek Pita Bread- Eat Yourself Greek
Step up your baking game and put on a spread to remember as you give this Greek pita bread recipe a go. From the foodie experts over at Eat Yourself Greek, these pitta breads are well-worthy of a Paul Hollywood handshake, and guaranteed to impress your guests.
For a delightful dish with a real authentic Greek feel, serve your pitta breads alongside some balsamic vinegar and olive oil and prepare for the ultimate taste sensation.
Unfortunately, as this week’s showstopper was so unique, I haven’t been able to track down anything similar for you to create. However, if you’d like to have a go at recreating Ruby’s bake, be sure to check out her very own Magical Landscape Passionfruit Cake here.
I really hope that the last 10 weeks has encouraged you to channel your inner ‘Star Baker’, and that you’ve been left inspired by all the tasty, tempting treats. Here at JD Williams, we’ve got a great selection of baking essentials to choose from, so be sure to check those out!